Dr Abid Mehmood
• Environmental governance
• Sustainabie dvelopment and ecological transitions
• Urban and regional planning
• Marine Spatial Planning
• Small island development, peripherality, connectivity and vulnerability
• EPSRC project ARCADIA
• European Commission FP7 project SOCIALPOLIS (http://www.socialpolis.eu)
• European Commission FP6 project DEMOLOGOS (http://demologos.ncl.ac.uk)
• European Commission FP6 project KATARSIS (http://katarsis.ncl.ac.uk)
• Mehmood A. (2010) On the history and potentials of evolutionary metaphors in urban planning, Planning Theory, 9(1), 63-87.
• Davoudi S, Crawford J, Mehmood A, eds. (2009) Planning for climate change: strategies for mitigation and adaptation for spatial planners, London:Earthscan
• Moulaert F, Mehmood A. (2010) Analysing regional development and policy: A structural-realist approach, Regional Studies, 44(1), 103-118
• Kizos T, Spilanis I, Mehmood A. (2009) Climate change vulnerability: planning challenges for small islands. In: Davoudi, S., Crawford, J. and Mehmood, A., ed. Planning for climate change: strategies for mitigation and adaptation. London: Earthscan, pp. 94-104.
• Moulaert F, Mehmood A. (2008) Analyser le développement régional. De l'innovation territoriale à la géographie de « dépendance du sentier » Géographie Economie Société , 10(2), 199-222.
• Moulaert F, Mehmood A. (2008) Analysing regional development: From territorial innovation to path dependent geography. In: Davis, JB; Dolfsma, W, ed. The Elgar Companion to Social Economics. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, pp. 607- 631.
• Gateway Convener for track ?Global environmental change and the future of regional development?, RSA Annual Conference, Regional Responses and Global Shifts: Actors, Institutions and Organisations, Pécs, Hungary (24-26 May 2010)
• Co-organiser of ESDP Network conference, Contemporary Society and Cultural Shifts in Public Policy, Aveiro, Portugal (22-23 June 2009)
• Gateway Convener for track ?Rurality, peripherality and island development?, RSA Annual Conference, Understanding and Shaping Regions: Spatial, Social and Economic Futures, Leuven, Belgium (6-8 April 2009)
• Panel Member at Roundtable ?The implications of the current “global crisis” for spatial planning – a critical discussion of claims and hypotheses?, chaired by Prof Patsy Healey at Annual UK-Ireland Planning Research Conference, Unequal Places: Planning and Territorial Cohesion, Newcastle University, UK (1-3 April 2009)
• PhD, Newcastle University, UK DEA, University of Lille 1, France
• MBA, Hamdard University, Pakistan
• BSc, Karachi University, Pakistan
• Member, Regional Studies Association (MeRSA)
• Associate Member, Higher Education Academy, UK
Honours and Awards
• Research Fellowship in Social Innovation, The Leverhulme Trust (2007)
• Research Studentship, Newcastle University (2002-04)
• Research Fellowship in Regional Development, CNRS, Lille (2001-02)
• TCP 8002 Planning Frameworks 2
• TCP 8025 Linked Research Project
• Postgraduate Certificate in European Spatial Planning